Sunday, January 29, 2012

When pigs fly? Not a problem.



I have finally done something I have been planning on doing for the past three months.  I haven’t done it till now because I could not get it all straight in my head, until today.  What is this deed I have done?  I have submitted a manuscript to a literary agent to see if it would be worth publishing.  Without going into any details let me just say it is something that I have felt led to do.  I think that is why I did not send it three months ago when I first felt the urgency.  

Patience is not one of my virtues.  If I get an idea about something I have to do it right then.  I am an impulsive shopper.  I have also written more than one angry letter without allowing a cool off period.  So this experience has been a lesson in patience for me.  If I had sent off the email at my first impulse my query letter would have been hastily written and my manuscript would have been too rough to be taken seriously.  By being patient and waiting for the words to come I have had time to rewrite and rewrite and rewrite.

It would be a lie if I said I received a message from God to do this.  I heard no words from heaven.  Instead it was more of a feeling in my heart that has not relinquished.   Then there have been some events lately including a dream I had that corresponded to a series of dreams my niece had around the same time.  Dreams so strong she was compelled to call me and tell me about them, and to her surprise I was able to tell her of mine.  I do not believe in coincidences.  I believe God has a hand in everything and it is up to us to figure it out for ourselves.  So, no, I did not hear words from heaven, but that doesn’t mean God did not speak to me in other ways.

As I said, I have put this off for three months.  Finishing my letter was the furthest thing from my mind today.  As of this afternoon I didn’t even have a title for my story.  Actually, I was going to take a nap but for some reason, just like last Sunday, I took my electronics to the porch, and once again opened my story and the dreaded unfinished letter.  I was distracted by a killdeer bathing in a puddle beyond our front pond and once again left the task undone.  By the time I was finished bird watching it was too cold for me to type outside, but this time when I came in I sat down and finished.  It was so easy.  Why has it taken three months? Like I said, things are lining up.  Things are happening.

What’s next?  I have not a clue. I am prepared to wait another three months for a response.  If I do not hear anything I’ll send it to someone else.  I am also prepared for rejection.  I am not so naïve to think this is not a very possible outcome. But that’s o.k. too, because as someone once told me, “a turtle never gets anywhere unless it sticks its neck out”.

2 comments:

  1. i looked out the window and i swear i saw a pig flying...things are indeed happening. indeed.

    ReplyDelete