Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Conversation





My normal habit is not to eavesdrop on conversations, but when they are happening three feet in front of me and are carried on in normal voice levels I can’t help but overhear.  That is what happened during one of my Tuesday night, one-hour Starbucks sittings.  Yes, maybe I went a little overboard by transcribing the conversation, but who could blame me with all that jazzy music in the background and the caffeine buzzing in my head.  It didn’t help I had a laptop at my fingertips.  Anyway, that is what happened. 


I was feeling so metropolitan that night, sitting in Starbucks on campus, sipping my iced caramel macchiato with a green straw.  I faced a window looking out into the library lobby, watching students come and go to study for their midterms, or do research for that paper that was certainly due the next day.  But my favorite scene was what was happening at the table to the left of me.  This is how I recorded the event...

A cowboy with his blue jeans, plaid shirt, cowboy boots and hat sits talking to an Indian girl.  I think he’s trying to impress her by telling her about his lineage and asking her about her beliefs.   I could feel a “come to Jesus” conversation brewing.  Not that I am against come to Jesus conversations, but you just know when it’s coming, and boy is it coming.  OK, here’s the pitch.  “Do you believe in God?”  “Tell me about God,” he says. 

Her answer, “God is a creator and a destroyer”.  She doesn’t have any particular belief, she says.  She says she is open.  They continue to exchange ideas about God.  I only wish I could hear his beliefs but his voice is too low and the jazzy music is loud.  Through his murmurings I can tell he is probably not a Christian like I previously thought.   

Nope, now I know he is definitely not a Christian.  I heard him say something about the 1950s before his leader came over.  What?  Leader??  Should I be afraid for her?  Afterall, she is one of the students I helped bring to this country.  How can I tell her parents I let this happen?  My mothering instincts are kicking in.   But wait, she is holding her own.   She says she does not worship the devil (that’s a relief).  She’s not against any one belief.  She thinks people should be able to believe what they want.  

Oh, he’s cute alright, and he knows it.  She knows it too.  He said something to insinuate he has a ponytail buried under his straw cowboy hat.  On second look, it’s not really a cowboy hat.  It’s more like a sun hat shaped to simulate a cowboy hat.  He just lost cool points with me.  Ooh, he’s a smooth talker.  She says he has positive energy and now she’s smiling.  I can’t put a name to her face, but I if I see her in the office I will have to have a conversation with her about smooth-talking cult recruiters.

OK, so now he’s changed his conversation from religion to talking about other girls he has known.  Why do guys feel it necessary to brag on past conquests?  Do they really think that impresses women?

Now he’s asking her about her parents.  I can tell he does not care much for her mother being a housewife.  He is trying to impress her with talk of his world travels.  (Ahem, smooth-talking cult recruiter.  The girl is from India.  She has probably travelled to more places just to get here then you ever have. )  I bet he’s shaken a lot of dust off those cowboy boots….wait they’re loafers!!!   Strike two.   Loafers and a straw cowboy-like hat cancel the cool.

Interesting…he’s questioning her scholarship.  She is trying to explain it to him, but he looks surprised.  Obviously he’s not a graduate student or he would know what she’s talking about.   He looks like a graduate student and talks like one but obviously he is not.  Did he have her fooled? I want to jump up and say “Run, Indian girlie, run.”  Too late, I hear her giggles.    

Wow! He said his friend has a 60 foot yacht and he’s going to India on it with him.  India? Really?  I wonder if he was talking to a Chinese girl if the cruise would be to China. 

They are getting up to leave.  I see them through the window walking out to the library lobby.  She gives him an awkward hug and they leave.  Something tells me she will stay clear of him.  Something tells me he is done with her, too.  I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment