Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thankfuls.


It is the day before Thanksgiving, and since I am hosting the meal tomorrow I have spent the day making preparations.  I’ve been cleaning and cooking and listening to music to make the work more pleasant.  I’ve also been thinking about what I am thankful for, so I thought I would make a list.  So, here are a few things, more like several things, for which I am thankful.  These things are not listed any particular order, just the way they pop into my head.

My family.  I have a husband who is kind, loving, and has stuck with me even if sometimes I’m not; my boys for not complaining too much when I play my music too loud, sing too loud, and drive too fast.

My house. I have a roof over my head, a floor under my feet and a comfortable bed.  Millions of people in this world don’t have even these things.

Books. I’ve met some of my favorite people in the pages of books.  To paraphrase Dumbledore, just because they are in my head it doesn’t mean they aren’t real.  I count that sentiment towards the characters in books, too.

Music. It keeps me going when I want to stop.

Words.  I may say few, but I think many.

Spandex.  I need the extra stretch now and then.  Mostly now.

Tide Pods.  Just throw it in.  You don’t even have to measure.

iPods.  See “Music” above.

Chocolate.  See “Music” above.

Vacuum cleaners.  I hate sweeping.

Sparkly things. They make me happy.

Back scratchers.  I especially like my metal fork-like one that has a telescoping handle.

My cats. They remind me of my Daddy.

My dog. She loves me more than life itself.

Sisters. They remind me of my Mama.

Brothers. They make me laugh and toughened me up.  And despite their best efforts they remind me of my Daddy.  They’re like cats that way.

Cole Porter. Without him there would be no Night and Day.  See “Music” above.

The Holy Trinity.  God the Father who created me, God the Son who lived like me, and God the Holy Spirit to whom I need to pay more attention.

Jimmy Daniels.  He didn’t mind the kid sister hanging around, and if he did he didn’t show it.

My closest friends.  They know me the best and accept me as I am.

My friends who have drifted in and out over the years.  They may not know it but I carry a bit of them with me always. 

This list could go on for pages and pages, but that would be boring and no one would read beyond about 500 words.  So I will leave it here, but know I am thankful for life, and in my heart of hearts I do not take one day for granted, even if it seems like I do sometimes because I like to take naps.  I’m like cats that way.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely, Elizabeth! Happy Thanksgiving to you, and your family.

    ReplyDelete