Saturday, July 5, 2014

You can't judge a bird by its feather




I tend to think of myself as an observer, an onlooker, a bystander.  I watch, listen and hear then interpret for my own understanding.  Arguments do not suit me, nor do heated debates.  In times of turbulence it is hard for me to collect my thoughts and fire back intelligibly, so I usually take the backseat and wait for a quiet opportunity to express my opinion. 
   
Speaking to my observation skills I may not notice my husband has shaved or cut his hair but a change in the tone of his voice or the shift of his feet will get my attention immediately.  What I do not see with my eyes I sense with my intuition.

Lately my observations have been focused on the behavior of the animals that use my back yard as their supermarket, restaurant, and day spa.  For example, I think blue jays are misunderstood.  Yes, they are loud and intrusive, but regardless of their size they will allow much smaller birds to chase them from the feeders.  I think they make such an assertive entrance in an attempt to scatter the other birds for a short moment to grab a few seeds before they are chased away.  And, they are the only birds I’ve ever seen that are calm enough to sunbathe.  They will lie perfectly still on the ground in the hot sun with their wings spread out beside them.  At first I thought they were playing dead to attract something or another, but after seeing this several times I seriously think they are just enjoying the warmth.

Another bird that I think has been misunderstood is the dove.  I can only reference mourning doves because they are the only ones I see on a daily basis.  Doves are often used as symbols of peace.  In the Bible doves are spoken of poetically giving them an air of beauty and grace.  When Jesus was baptized the heavens opened and the Spirit of God descended upon him like a dove.  I think the references to the dove in the Bible are what contribute to the general idea of the dove as peaceful.  But to me, someone who watches doves everyday, doves are anything but peaceful.  They are demanding.  They will chase away other birds from the feeders and they are merciless to squirrels.  They will fight for any possible scrap that might have fallen to the ground.  As spiteful as they are to other birds and squirrels they are even worse to each other, always pecking and chasing.  Doves are a force to be reckoned with.

Aha!  Notice, I did not say the Bible was wrong about doves.  They certainly are beautiful creatures.  Their colors are soft and iridescent, their coos are soothing, their flight is graceful; all ideal characteristics for waxing poetic.  I also agree they make a perfect comparison to the Spirit of God because I think the Spirit of God is anything but peaceful.  Think about it.  When the Spirit of God has a message for you He will poke you, chase you, demand your attention, and give you no rest.  The Spirit of God is a force to be reckoned with.  Peace will find you only once you succumb to the Spirit and listen and obey.  The poetic dove of peace will only appear once dove of the Spirit has been satisfied.  

So the next time you see a symbol of a dove remember that things are not always as they are assumed to be.  True meanings often are lost in translation.  The Spirit of God is like a dove, but doves can be pushy as can the Spirit.  And the next time you see a symbol of a dove with an olive branch in its mouth remember that dove probably stole the branch from another bird.

1 comment:

  1. Great observation, Elizabeth. The Holy Spirit can truly be persistent, especially when we're trying to ignore what God is trying to tell us.

    ReplyDelete