Thursday, January 22, 2015

What thoughts come at 4 a.m.


Only recently have I begun taking the Precious Blood as a part of the Eucharist at mass.  Frankly, drinking from the same cup behind multitudes of people, many whom I heard coughing and sputtering just a few minutes before communion, never appealed to me.  It wasn’t until I let that all go and put my faith in the Eucharist that I was able to partake on a regular basis.  That is when my heart changed and I felt a need for it to make the Eucharist whole.

A gulp from the cup is not necessary.  A small sip will do just fine.  Unless, of course, you get a nod of encouragement from minister to please take more or else they may leave the church a little light-headed from having to consume the left-over.

This past Sunday I was one of the last in line, and when I was handed the cup I looked in and saw it was clean except for one last tiny drop.  I almost handed it back to the minister, but I remembered that every drop must be consumed so I tipped the cup back and took it.  That one drop of Precious Blood was as spiritually potent as if I had taken a gulp.  That one drop warmed my tongue and my throat as if I had drunk an entire glass full of wine.  That one red, tiny drop, barely enough to leave a stain on white silk, was enough to wrap me in the grace of Jesus and set me in His presence.

Every drop of blood Jesus shed was for a purpose.  The blood that flowed from the nail wounds in His hands and feet was for our sake.  The blood that streamed down his face and neck and matted in his hair from the piercing thorns on his mocking crown was to pave our way to heaven.  The blood that poured from the stab of the sword in His side consecrated those who would come to believe and follow Him to His father.

One drop, all sins, renewal, hope.  Follow.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I, too, have been hesitant during flu season to take the wine; must rethink it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Elizabeth. I take the Precious Blood in all seasons. And I know about that 'light-headed' thing. I used to be an Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist, and we had to consume the remainder. ;o)

    ReplyDelete