Saturday, June 16, 2012

Lemons or lemonade? It's up to you to make it palatable.



I’ve often heard the saying, “If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” But even lemonade is bitter if you don’t add enough sugar.  Tonight I am sitting, well lying, on my couch in my living room with a Sherlock Holmes movie on in the background.  The one with Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law.  Not that I mind looking at Jude Law, but I was supposed to be in New York right now, seeing new things and having fun with my sister and my niece.  But due to a sad turn of events ending with a death in my sister’s family the trip has been put on hold for awhile.  Lemons.  Or, so some might think.

Now would be the proverbial time to make lemonade, but first I’ve got to find some sugar.  It needs something sweet to balance the sour.  Actually, I do not feel sour about missing out on our trip.  I am the type of person who believes everything happens for a reason.  I believe our actions and reactions fit together like pieces in a fluent puzzle, moving and twisting, pulling apart only to come together again in a different configuration.  Had the situation been different I would be somewhere on the streets of Manhattan right now instead of on my creaking sofa with a cat in my face.  Instead I will be able to spend Father’s Day with my husband, take some relaxing time off work, and be there for my son when he finishes his driver’s ed course on Friday.  And, I would not have been able to listen to the night sounds outside my door, the frogs and crickets vying to see who can sing the loudest.  Or, I would not have been able to see the stars tonight.  The sky in my piece of the world was pulsing with starlight.  I even got to see the Hubble telescope pass over.  You can’t see that in Manhattan.  See, I found my sugar after all.

1 comment: