Sunday, September 30, 2012

Some day...



Yesterday I was whining and complaining to my husband about how I want to be a writer more than anything, but the idea of coming up with an original idea and creating complete characters is too overwhelming to me.  He agreed, and said if a person could live in their imagination then they could write a book.  Their imagination would be their book. I replied with a statement affirming I live in my imagination almost 24 hours a day.

Sad, isn’t it?  Well, maybe I exaggerated just a tad.  Maybe I’m not in my imagination the whole day.  Parts of it, certainly.  While I sleep, absolutely.

My sleeping dreams are the source of most of my day dreams.  Sometimes I will dream something so incredible that I will think about it for days thereafter.  In an effort to try to turn my dreams into a real story I could use I try to add to it, or change things, but I always get stumped at some point and can’t move forward.  I can come up with full strings of dialogue in my head, but they never quite make it down on paper.  Just like James Taylor’s song, “worked on a letter, but it never made it out of my head...” Pardon, but I had to throw some James in there somewhere.

Music is another stimulus of my imagination.  When I put my ear buds in and turn my iPod way up I am locked in my own world and those around me are my characters unaware.  That man walking in the parking lot in front of me is just somebody that I used to know.  Sweet dreams are made of my time behind the music.  In my mind I’m already in the Carolinas.  It feels like I’m 17 again.  I have to be careful though, because sometimes I find myself walking to the beat, and I would not want anyone to see that dreadfulness.   

Maybe one day I will get beyond that stumped point, finish a story and get it all down.  Until then, if you see me with a glazed look in my eye, just know I am really hard at work.

2 comments:

  1. It will come, Elizabeth, probably when you least expect it. You have lots of great stories that can be told. Don't think in terms of novels; the short story is a very popular genre these days.
    Why not talk to Brenda? She might have some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have wonderful dreams. Are you keeping a dream journal? If not, do it. I assume you journal (on paper). Those are always ideas for stories.

    I can't write short stories, myself, as I can't write realistic dialogue, but I try it once in awhile.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete