Saturday, September 8, 2012

What is the rainbow connection?



Maybe it’s because of the rainy weather we’ve had this summer, when we weren’t in a drought of course, but I have been stumbling upon an unusual amount of rainbows lately.  I round a corner, or a curve in the road and ta-daa, there it is.  I have to admit the sight always makes me a little giddy.  I have to wonder if it is there just for me to see; a sign of sorts.  Of course I grab my camera every time I see one, always trying to get that perfect shot.  I’ve been lucky a couple of times, but capturing a rainbow is not an easy thing to do.  They can be an elusive thing, hence why I haven’t yet to find that pot of gold.  Try as I might that dadgum pot of gold must dissipate with the rainbow itself.

Rainbows do not linger, they fade quickly.  So when I see one I take the time to stop and look and remember what it means to be privy to such a sight.  It is a sign of a covenant between God and the earth that He will never again send a flood of water to destroy the earth.  The thing that I find most interesting is that the sign is not only for us to see to remember God’s covenant, but it is also a reminder to God.  He thought it so important that He needed something to remind Him.  Amazing.

Gen 9:12-16  And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.  And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.  And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth. 


I am by no means a biblical scholar, and I am not qualified to pontificate on what God meant by this covenant.  I only know what He said, and that was no more world-destroying flood waters.  He did not say anything about other ways He could use his might to remind us of our sinful and destructive ways.

It still makes me wonder if He is sending me a personal message, other than one to Noah, when I see the colors appear in the sky, or the spray coming out of the garden hose, or even the projections from the prism hanging in my kitchen window.  Meanwhile, I’ll continue to stop for a minute, enjoy the show, and keep up the hunt for that pot of gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment