Saturday, October 26, 2013

Getting ready



Tomorrow I am leaving for a few days to attend a conference in Raleigh, NC.  I’ve never been to Raleigh, but I have been to other places in North Carolina and loved them, so when I was offered the opportunity to go to the conference I didn’t hesitate.  I wonder if I will feel as drawn to Raleigh as I was to Asheville.  We shall see.

I never know what to wear to a conference.  International educators are a mixed breed.  Some wear their best business attire, some wear jeans.  I try to fit somewhere in the middle.  I don’t want to look slouchy, but nor do I want to portray a false sense of who I am.  I bought a nice business suit for job interviews after college and haven’t worn it since I got my job many, many years ago.  I ended up giving it away to another college graduate, not that it would fit me anymore, not in size nor demeanor. 

I’ve spent the last week hunting and gathering, a pre-travel ritual I tend to go through.  I put together my outfits in my mind, but I’ve had to buy bits and pieces of travel extras along the way.  I used to love shopping for school supplies, now I channel that energy into buying tiny bottles of shampoo, toothpaste, and hair gel.  There’s something about gathering supplies together and thinking about the potential for their use that makes me happy.  Freak.

It took me about 20 minutes this morning to get it all together, organize it and pack it.  My purse holds a book, a netbook, pen, notepad, camera (always), a pack of Wet-Ones, snacks, zip-top plastic bags, my baggie of liquid items (do you still have to do that?), medication, reading glasses, lens cleaners, charges, phone, wallet, two handkerchiefs, a partial pack of tissue, and a flashlight.  In my daily life I carry a wallet and a phone.  What makes me think I’m going to need all that other junk just because I’m going away for four days?  By comparison my suitcase holds dry toiletries, one pair of shoes, an extra purse for going out, and exactly enough clothing for my trip, no more, no less.  I’m sensible that way at least.  I think my purse is heavier than my suitcase.

Packing for a trip makes me take stock of what I really need to get by.  I know I don’t need 95% of what I own.  Like my daddy used to say when I would say I needed something, “you don’t ‘need’ it”.  He never liked to hear words used in any way other than their literal sense.  Daddy was right, I don’t need much.   It’s just that I enjoy having my things about me, like Mary Kate Danaher Thornton.  (Did you get that?). 
 
I’m actually surprised I got it all my packing done today. Usually I wait to pack in a frenzy about an hour before I walk out the door.  So now what do I do?  I do this, I eat some ice cream, and wait for the sun to rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment