Friday, March 28, 2014

Gumballs and grocery stores


Writer’s block comes now and then, but when the ice breaks the water flows.  I just now finished my latest contribution to the paper, only three days late.  I had an idea early on, something about grocery stores, but stress at work and taxes have taken root in my brain, and I could not put my thoughts together.  Last night I was feeling the guilt of missing my deadline so I tossed out the grocery store idea and started writing a mush fest about the upcoming weddings of two of my nieces.  I wrote about knowing them as children and how proud I’m going to be on their big days.  I waxed poetic of their beauty and how they will shine as brides and how I will cry, boo-hoo-hoo ----- give me a break.  No one wants to read that. Well, maybe their mothers do, but not the general paper-subscribing public.  I’ll save that mushiness for this outlet and for a later date.

This morning I was thinking about all of this whilst eating my honey-nut shredded wheat with almost soured milk and the grocery store idea came back, probably out of necessity.  Then a thought came that told me I was on the right track and I sat down and pounded it out (cheap cliche) in about thirty minutes.  The irony is the thought that inspired me had nothing all to do with what I wrote.  Yes, the story for the paper ended up being about grocery stores, but it was not the story I had intended to write.  You can read it next month, that is if the paper and I are still in a relationship in a month.  Meanwhile... 

What I wanted to write was about my childhood days in grocery stores.  My mother would drag me around Winn-Dixie until I was a whimpering puddle begging for pennies for the gumball machine.  She would never let me have a whole gumball, not because of how bad they were for my teeth but because she feared choking.  She would bite it or crush it in before she would let me have it.  In her mind a gumball would inevitably get stuck in my throat and she would have to pull my arms over my head in hopes of dislodging it.  The Heimlich maneuver had not yet been invented and back slapping and arms-over-head were the lifesaving actions of the day.

If my mother was taking her elderly cousin, Josephine, shopping we would go to McCaffrey’s because that is where she wanted to go.  I only have three distinct memories of McCaffrey’s: 1) it was far from home 2) it smelled like rotting produce and 3) when I left there the bottoms of my feet were absolutely filthy.  Now, why I was barefoot in a grocery store is beside the point.  That was before the “no shoes no service” days as well.  Come to think of it that is probably why I detest going barefoot to this day.  It was all because of McCaffrey’s dirty floors!  Oh, make that four things.  I just remembered the McCaffrey’s Showtime, 30 minutes (or less) of local late-night television musical entertainment.  The first time I saw Walter Brewer in public, white hair shining, I thought he was a true celebrity.

The other thing I wanted to say about grocery stores but didn’t is about my experience working in one.  It was a short-lived career, two days max, but it was only supposed to be a temporary gig anyway.  My oldest friend and travelling partner’s father owned his own grocery store.  It was from him I learned the meaning of hard work and that Sunday is truly a day of rest.  If I was at their house during the week I would see him for an hour or so the whole day.  He worked from the dark of the morning to the dark of the evening every day but Sunday, taking a break for lunch.  Sundays, after church only, were his play days.  That is when he would take us on extended road trips throughout the South Mississippi countryside, walking through the woods, fishing or all of the above on the same day.  For reasons of his own, probably for his own entertainment, he enlisted us to work at the store a couple of days.  Well, maybe it was just one day.  We trudged in with him at 5:30 or earlier, and spent the day stocking shelves, pricing cans, and doing whatever else he told us to do.  I earned $10 and learned the lesson that I never wanted to work in a grocery store.

But none of this has anything to do with the thought that sat me in this chair and commanded me to write.  The thought was this:  I know now why my mother sends me pennies from heaven.  It’s to make up for all of those crushed gumballs.  With every penny she’s saying it’s okay, have the gumball, take a risk, you’re not going to choke.  And if you do throw your arms over your head, you’ll survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment