Monday, November 2, 2015

A little soul for All Souls Day



This weekend I had another one of my 4:00 a.m. wake-up calls and my thoughts went to the word, soul.  I knew I needed to get up and write it all down, but God must have known I needed sleep so he didn’t push me.  But that Spirit, ever so Holy, has been needling me since, and I still can’t get the thought of the soul out of my mind.  Now here it is All Souls Day, a flashing sign to get to work if ever there was one. 
 
Last year my sisters, my cousin the Artist, one of the twin girls, and I spent a day with my aunt, the Sister, and I recorded the whole day on a small voice recorder I bought just for that purpose.  Being a nun afforded my aunt the honorary title of Family Spiritual Advisor.  My mother never put much credence in anything her children told her, but there were three people to whom she heeded all advice: her sister the Sister, any priest, and any doctor (in that order).  If my aunt said it to be so then it was and that was the end of that.  So it was no surprise many of the questions we asked my aunt that day leaned towards spiritual matters.  One conversation went like this,

The Artist: “Aunt Frances do you believe that your mama and daddy and sisters and brothers will be sitting there at your last breath waiting to take you to heaven?”

Aunt Frances: “No, because they say when you die you don’t think of anybody. It’s such peace, such happiness you don’t see anybody.  Just God.  You know, we try to figure God out; we can’t do it.  We can’t.  It’s impossible.  It’s impossible.”

I could see the disappointment in my family’s faces and hear it between the lines of the recording.  We all want to believe we will be reunited with our loved ones, that they will be there waiting to embrace us like the end scene in “Ghost”.  I want to believe that, truly, I do, but I’m beginning to shift towards my aunt’s beliefs and another idea entirely. 

You see, I believe we humans can only think in an earthly way because that is the way we are wired.  The bible says so, “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground..” Genesis 2:7.  Our meager human minds cannot grasp the reality of heaven.  We can only imagine it from the smidgen of description that has been revealed in God’s Word.  We have too much dusty ground in us to understand the whole truth.

That verse continues, and it is this last part which holds the basis of my theory, “… and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.”

God gave life to mankind and we became living souls.  Have you ever counted how many times the word, soul, appears in the bible?  I have, with the help of an electronic bible, of course.  In the King James Version the word, soul, appears 459 times in 432 different verses.  The bible pairs the words heart and soul about 73 times.  As in Matthew 22:37 when Jesus said, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.”  Our soul is as much of our being as our heart or our brain. 
 
All of these little tidbits are meant to bring you to my new revelation.  I think when God breathed life into Adam and made him a living soul He gave a bit of himself in each of us.  We strive for heaven not because we will be reunited with individuals, but because our souls must be reunited with God’s.   Each of us carries within us a piece of a puzzle that fits in a certain place.  When we get to heaven our souls will interlock with each other’s and stitch together as a collective, eternal voice of praise.  In this way, yes, we will be reunited with those who have gone before us, but in a way we cannot possibly understand while our bodies remain grounded.  I am not a theologian and I did not spend hours studying God’s Word to come to this conclusion, so this is only my opinion, not gospel.  You should study for yourself and listen for God to reveal Himself to you. 

As my aunt said, “You know, we try to figure God out; we can’t do it.  We can’t.  It’s impossible.  It’s impossible.”  I have to believe she’s telling the truth.  My mother would insist on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment